Monday, February 17, 2014

Week 3: Anniversary, Nox, Asanas, Sound Design, Wonderwall, Haircuts & 50% Satisfaction!

10 - 16 February, 2014

Alright. The good thing about writing only once in a week is that... well, I only have to write once a week. The bad thing about writing only once in a week that there is hell a lot to cover in one go! I have a feeling that this is going to be yet another super long post! But then the good thing about super long posts on this blog is that, I have a lot of super happy things going on. So, can't complain.

Now that I have successfully wasted enough time and space in writing that absolutely necessary prologue above, let us get to the real matters. So yes, it was another rather happening week.

Firstly it was our 7th wedding anniversary. Yup, like what a friend commented, we are over the "itch". And it's been a good 7 years, no doubt. A lot had happened including a ton of fun and laughter, a reasonable amount of anger and tears and even the production of an entire human being. There is clearly a lot to be thankful for. And am glad to say that we are still in the phase of wanting to have romantic wedding anniversary celebrations, doing "something special" on our special day.

And the something special this time, was dinner at Nox - Dine in the Dark. A restaurant which gives you the unique opportunity to dine in pitch darkness, where you are not allowed to take your phones or even your watches in, where you are guided and served by the visually impaired yet super efficient staff, where you are required to guess what you are consuming over your 3 course dinner of 12 mystery dishes based on their texture, taste and smell and where you, in a nutshell, have the most amazing experience. To me, it was 90 minutes of enjoying great tastes, having a great conversation with my husband of seven years, marveling at the politeness and efficiency of the staff, thanking the Gods for my good fortune and health and enjoying an immense amount of indescribable peace. I didn't realize the shut down of one total sense would do that to you. Nett, it was an amazing anniversary and was totally worth the pain I had to go through to get to the place from my full day meeting in the company's second office in a remote location from where cabs, trains, buses and everything else seemed to not work to my advantage. But, totally worth it.

In other news, I am making fine progress in Ashtanga Yoga. After playing around with the primary standing series, now I am on to the sitting series. And with some practice, to my own huge surprise, I can manage a few advanced asanas now. I can touch my forehead to my knees in Uttanasana, extend my legs in Purvottanasana, lock my knees with legs extended in Ubhaya Padangusthasana and do a decent Halasana. All of which make me feel on top of the world!

My second guitar class also went off very well. But before we get to that, I have to write down what a good committed student I have been. I went and got all the strings changed, bought a cover for my guitar, cut the nails on my left hand so as not to scratch the fretboard, grew the nails on my right hand in order to play the finger style, and practiced whenever I got some free time over the week. The result was that the guitar teacher was very impressed by the progress I had made by the second class and he kept saying how the teacher from my childhood had taught me well. Well, that one goes to P. D. Thomas sir. He is one of the leading guitarists back at home and was an incredibly patient teacher. I consider it one of my biggest fortunes to have had the chance to build my foundation under his tutelage.

So well, after that little bit of ego boost, we got down to learning new exercises one which was the accompaniment for Wonderwall by Oasis! It's one of my all time favourite songs and now I can strum away chords for it, which makes me feel ridiculously awesome! Getting back to guitar has to be one of the best decisions ever. Like, ever!

There's more good news. We have a draft of sound design for Aravindum Aaarumughamum! Once the music is finalized, we will need to do another round of fine tuning and we will be all good to go. This is huge progress and I am so very excited!

No week's entry is complete without something on the little one. This week's highlight was her first hair cut. We went to United Square to a place called Juniors League, which specializes in haircuts for kids. When I saw their sole customer, 2 year old, struggling and wailing in his mom's arms, I had my concerns. It was going to be tough, for sure. But thankfully, I had nothing to be concerned about. The little one settled in comfortably enough in the high chair, playing with the various toys that were lined up in front of her, occasionally glancing at the screen in front of her that played some cartoons, frequently checking out her reflection in the mirror opposite, with only a minor discomfort expressed at times when the small cut hair strands fell on her on face. She was so good that the hairdresser was fooled into believing that she was a real non mischievous angel and to reward her, gave her a lot of stickers, a lollipop and a balloon. The little one, in return, gave her a dramatic farewell waving her hands and shouting "ta ta" across, thereby melting the poor hairdresser's already rather melted heart. It was all very fascinating.

Last but not the least, I think I might just have come across the thread for my masterpiece in films. I had a vague idea to do something that involves some cultural aspect from India together with a family drama which is what I am always interested in, but it never took any concrete shape. But now the whole concept is in my head and after the three people I narrated it to gave me their positive feedback, I can safely say that I am thrilled. This one is super hard to pull off (requires incredible resources - time, energy, commitment, cash and well... talent, so let's see how that goes). But then I guess that's what would make it a masterpiece - it is not meant to be easy.

I am not sure whether I would ever get to it, but for now, like one of my friends mentioned, "Planning is already 50% satisfaction". What he meant by that is, more than the destination, the journey of dreaming and planning about it gives you the joy and contentment that you seek.

So yes, I am definitely 50% satisfied. Or more.


No comments:

Post a Comment