Sunday, March 16, 2014

Week 7: From Harmonics, Duets & Soundtracks to Laddoo Pottal!

10 - 16 March, 2014

It's already Tuesday March 18th and I am writing the post for last week only now. Two days too late. That's a bummer from a timing standpoint but that's how freakishly busy I have been. But things are good... in fact, quite good.

Highlight from last week.

1) Work's super busy but pretty good. All the guilt I had of working from home extensively (my helper's only returning next month!) was kinda overcome because there's been tremendous amount of progress on a few projects. So that makes me pretty happy!

2) My guitar class was awesome! The teacher was so happy with his student that he gave me a star in the form of a sticker, which then I proudly pasted on my guitar! I think I was excited as his other students who are probably a few decades younger to me! He taught me how to play harmonics, which I had never done before, as well as a duet, which again, I was doing for the first time. I loved the sound of the harmonics and the challenge of the duet - it required an immense amount of concentration to not get what you are playing wrong, when another person is playing something completely different along! Must have been one of the best guitar lessons till now!

3) I had this dream which I never thought would materialize because of an utter lack of required skill set. And that was being able to sing a song while playing the guitar along. I have had low confidence on the guitar part and I definitely have rather questionable skills when it comes to singing. So when I watch others demonstrate this, what I consider an awesome talent, I used to watch with mouth-wide-opened awe. But things are looking rather sunny as far as this dream is concerned now. The latest pop song we tackled in the guitar class was a rather simple one (simple from a chords standpoint) called "Let it be" by the Beatles. As I was practicing it later together with the real song in the background, I realized that this might just be that song that I can sing and play the guitar to! The chords were simple enough, the lyrics were memorable enough, the pitch was something within my range and overall I found it at least hummable. I tried to sing and play the guitar and found that it takes a LOT of effort to play the chords correctly, remember the lyrics and sing without going out of tune, all at the same time. Like, a LOT! But I tried. And recorded. And I was horrified to realize what my guitar and I actually sounded outside my head. So I tried again. And recorded again. And I was pleased to see a vast improvement after my 10th attempt or so. I think it was one of those moments when I physically lived the phrase "manasil laddoo potti" (the laddoo, a sweet Indian delicacy, burst in my heart). Aaaah! Sure, the singing is still rather questionable and the guitar playing needs to be a lot smoother, but it is at least no longer a dream that is confined to the "never gonna happen" territory. It has been promoted to "might just happen, after all!"

4) My music director in Chennai and I had regular connects in the virtual world and finally we lock the full soundtrack for Aravindum Aarumughamum! The film is now very very close to getting completed and I can't wait !

5) I wrote not one, but TWO episodes for the Malayalam sitcom, in the midst of all the hullaballoo happening around!

6) My dad flew down over the weekend and he is an extra helping hand at home now, which is of course, awesome! And yes, I am immensely pleased to have him otherwise also.

7) In other news, the little one can now say "Apple". What a milestone. She puts her doll to sleep with the Malayalam lullaby "va vo va". She does her version of Bharatanatyam eye movement, which goes from top to bottom, instead of left to right. She is mastering her skill of dramatics with her focus areas being acting coy and imitating her granddad burp. Yup, she is growing up.

7) Last, but not the least, I watched a really interesting play called Re:Play by a colleague's wife. It was my first time watching what they called "immersive theatre" that involves interactions with audience, I really enjoyed the experience. I was wowed by the thought process being the concept (based on traditional Indian games) and the flawless execution. It makes me want to watch more theatre, something I have been so out of touch for so long now!

So that's that. A pretty happening week, if any. And now my parents, the little one and I will be off to a 3 day trip to Krabi. This was meant to be a snorkelling trip for just my dad and I but given all the changes at home the last couple of weeks, this has now turned into a full blown family vacation. Am not sure how much snorkelling we will get done, but we will have fun sure. So long!

No comments:

Post a Comment