Wednesday, April 1, 2015

From Asanas to Jala Neti!

After much activity yesterday, I took the day easy and didn't venture out in the morning. Instead, I spent it in the room and completed all the the storyboarding and scheduling work. I can now say that I personally am 100% ready for the shoot next week! 

Both the yoga classes today were challenging and I got to try a few new things.

First was the Chakrasana or Wheel Pose - I used to be able to do this on my own a long time ago, but recently I had hardly attempted it nor do I think I would have been able to do it, even if I tried. But thanks to the wonderful teacher here, not only was I able to hoist myself up (he pulled me up with a belt at first), but also could strongly remain in that position for a while. It felt awesome! 

Second was the Padmasana or Lotus Pose - Even before coming here, I could get myself into a Padmasana but it had never been a comfortable posture for me, and I would be able to hold it only for 30 seconds to a minute before my ankles and feet scream in pain and I get out of the posture in relief. But today, in the class, I held it for a good 15 minutes and also could get myself to bend forward and touch the forehead on the ground even as I was seated in Padmasana! Great progress! 

Third was the Hanumanasana or the Splits Pose - I had always wanted to be able to do the split but never really learnt how to. Today, with a lot of warm up as guided by the teacher, I managed to get into the widest split I could ever get into till date. I was still not able to get into it a 100% but the teacher said that I am very, very close to it and just a little bit more practice and I can do it! Exciting!!

Last but not the least, we practiced Jala Neti - the nose cleansing or sinus irrigation technique wherein you take warm salt water through one nostril, and drain it through the other nostril. It is supposed to cleanse your nasal passage, clear nasal allergies, sinuses, even help with tired eyes! I was so thrilled and was surprised to see how much of junk was actually released from the nose, post the routine. It felt SO GOOD! Good news is that we also got our own individual Neti pots each, so now I can try it out in Singapore too! 

After the second terrific yoga class for the day, I decided to walk until the Ram Jhula, which was about 2 kms away. I was accompanied by the two girls who are also part of the same retreat as me, and we walked to the Lakshman Jhula first, crossed over and took the footpath all the way to Ram Jhula. On the way we came across a lovely Tibetan shop that had a gorgeous, very unique range of accessories and curios. We picked up a couple of things and walked on to the Ram Jhula. 

At Ram Jhula, it was once again back to the alley of shops, hordes of cows, dogs, monkeys, sadhus, pilgrims, tourists, yogis and what not. To our amusement, one of the girls was approached by a professional "ear cleaner" who offered to clean her ears (no, it wasn't a joke, he actually does that for a living) . She said, "That is the weirdest thing I have ever been asked"! 

I wanted to attend the Ganga Aarti on the opposite shore today. Yesterday  I had noticed that it is much less crowded here and wanted to check it out. So we crossed over the Ram Jhula and joined a small group of people for the Aarti on the opposite shore. And it was a beautiful, beautiful experience! For starters, there were hardly any people. The Aarti was done by three boys who performed a synchronized routine to some lovely chants and music, with huge, spectacular lamps - my favourite being one that was shaped like a hooded cobra! They were so elegant, I could watch them all day long but I took some time to meditate and chant as the routine progressed. 

As I watched the Aarti, one of the volunteers handed me a big lamp to do few rounds of the Aarti myself and at that point in time, with the Ganga flowing slowly, majestically, in front, with the mountains beyond darkening from the setting sun, the chants ringing in my ears and the flame of the lamp ensuing a brilliant light around me, I felt so contented, so happy, that I think my eyes actually welled up. 

After the Aarti, we got the flower and camphor flame offerings, which we left adrift in the Ganga and watched it float away carrying a little bit of light each in the dark waters. 

We took an autorickshaw back and after a meal of "vegetable seekh kebabs" and some hot Bournvita, I tucked myself into bed with my book of the day - R. K Narayan's "The World of Nagaraj". It is such a wonderfully simple and funny tale - I actually caught myself laughing out loud at many poins! If R. K. Narayan were alive, I definitely would have visited him and given him a huge hug! 

Any day in Rishikesh comes to an end, and I am getting increasingly sad about the though of leaving soon. But I know I will come back, so for now, I will make the most of the remaining time in this wonderful place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment