Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 292: The Little One's Birthday Celebration Begins!

Yup, it is almost a year since the little one popped out of me. Time does pass at breakneck speed. Her actual birthday is on October 30th but there is a custom in Kerala where I come from to celebrate birthdays as per the Indian calendar (lunar calendar as opposed to the Western solar calendar).

And the little's one's birthday as per the Indian calendar was today. And we decided to have a small, Indian celebration.

The little one got dressed in a pretty peach dress which was a gift from our helper and was the first birthday gift for her for the year! The dear helper had managed to get her son, who is back in India, to buy the dress and send it across via a friend! How nice of her!

Then we went to the Toa Payoh temple. In spite of living very close to it, I had been here only once before. That time it was under renovation and was chaotic. But today, I fell in love with it! It was not crowded at all, the ambience was peaceful, and the priests and staff were very nice and courteous. I really enjoyed being there!

We performed a small puja in the little one's name, sat around for a little while to soak in the sanctity and then made our way back home. The little one too seemed to have a great time - her eyes were droopy with extreme sleepiness but she was still alert, thanks to the excitement of the puja, the thavil and naadaswaram music and the wonderful colours of the temple around her!

Back home, our helper made some delicious payasam/kheer (dessert) to make the celebrations grander, which was again very nice of her.

That was pretty much all the celebration. I was initially planning for more but given that I had a flight catch to Beijing on a business trip in the afternoon, we didn't do anything more elaborate.

But it turned out to be perfect celebration. Small yet beautiful!

In the afternoon the hubby and the little one accompanied me to the airport to see me off to Beijing. It was very hard to leave her behind especially on her birthday, but I was thankful for this beautiful child that I can call mine, and everything else in my life right now.

And I took off to Beijing, a very happy mother!  I will be back and the celebrations will continue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment