Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Days 293 - 294: Beijing - Consumers, Weather, Food & Dance!

21 - 22 October, 2013

I was in Beijing for a couple of days on consumer research and I had a super hectic yet super fabulous time! Time for a quick list!

1) Consumers - I love consumer research. It is so fascinating to listen to these people open their minds and thoughts to total strangers. Each time I hear a consumer speak, I could write an entire script on her life! You get to meet so many people with so many different characters and aspirations, it is really exciting! I had three visits to consumers homes each day for the research. That was super tiring but I enjoyed it!

2) Food - every meal saw a super large spread and I was very much overfed for the two days. I had everything from the famous Peking Duck to some very unique dishes like vegetable patties and pineapples in mayonnaise and a particular kind of fish which was dressed up as if it were a coral reef. I can also say that I probably had the most variety of meat within two consecutive days!

3) Weather - The temperature hovered between 12 - 17 degree celsius and it was just perfect!  One night I got the chance to take a long walk to and from dinner in that cold frosty autumn weather, with my palms tucked away into the pockets of my jacket and with the frosty air escaping my mouth as I talked. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip!

4) Dance - The Chinese people love dancing. In fact, most of our consumers were talking about how their mothers are always out dancing. And I got to see that too. As I walked down to get some Peking duck one night, I saw a lot of people, mainly senior citizens, dancing away in a square. There was one bunch doing line dancing, there was another bunch doing ballroom dancing and there was yet another bunch doing something like a mix of Taichi and dance. To add to the ambiance, there was another group of people, dressed up in a blue uniform and singing away. How wonderful! And the best part? They were still at it even as I was on my way back at 10 pm, dancing away in that cold weather! Awesome!

These are some of the highlights. But really, I enjoyed every bit of this trip. The long rides from one consumer home to the other, the intense discussion on the Chinese culture and psyche, watching one heritage building after the other appearing every now and then, seeing the lit up Tiananmen Square once again after three years, and maybe even the working late into the night (and I mean really LATE) catching up on emails over a hot cup of chocolate.

It was all very good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment