Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 58: The Little One Goes to India!

The day arrived!

The little one's first visit to India, in fact her first trip anywhere outside of Singapore. That in itself is a big deal. An even bigger deal is the fact that I traveled with her ALL BY MYSELF.

Our first stop in this trip is my place in Kerala and it started off with a four hour flight. Even though the flight is only four hours, it meant spending about 6 hours or so with just the two of us. While I was looking forward to this special mummy-baby bonding time, I can frankly say that I was terrified of it as well. One never knows how the little one, a completely developed human with her own strong mind and will will behave at any point in time. So yes, I was nervous, terrified, excited, all at the same time.

But I am very happy and proud to declare that it all went off very smoothly! In fact I think the little one is quite a traveller!

At the Singapore airport, she greeted - which means she smiled, cooed and gurgled - at pretty much everyone - the security officers, the immigration officials, the fellow passengers, air hostesses, everyone. Some of them were so charmed by her that they stopped me for ten minutes at the gate, just so that they can play with her and she readily obliged too. On the flight, she fell asleep immediately and slept through the four hours. Only bummer was that I couldn't place her on the bassinet due to the turbulent weather, so I had to place on her lap for the entire journey which pretty much meant I had no dinner or loo break. But that's a small price to pay for such a peaceful journey!

Upon reaching the Kochi airport, I handed her over to her overexcited grandparents and went to collect my luggage. When I handed her over, she was continuing to exude her friendly charm and things were all rosy and happy. But just after I had collected my luggage, one lady security official came towards me and informed, "Your baby is crying." OK, thanks. I realized that my baby was not simply "crying", it was more like she had pretty much brought the airport down with her bloodcurdling wails and horrified everyone around. Awesome.

But then something actually really awesome happened. I picked her up and she quieted down immediately and cuddled really close to me. I can very well say that this was probably the first time I actually felt, like really felt from the bottom of my heart, that I am her mother. In the sense, not just someone who has to take care of her but someone she actually feels the closest to. In other words, we bonded.

A great welcome to India that was! 

3 comments:

  1. That wonderful moment when you know you matter. That. You got there too :)
    Another happy milestone. :) :)
    Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww....u geel like ur on top of the world right..njoy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww....u geel like ur on top of the world right..njoy...

    ReplyDelete