Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rains, Books, Headstands!

I woke up to a very different Rishikesh - dark clouds, thunder, frequent showers and cold, gusty wind that was so strong that the hotel staff had to lock their glass doors in front to prevent them from breaking (But I saw a few unfortunate, broken flower pots which couldn't be saved)! It was beautiful and practicing yoga in this weather was right about the most perfect experience! 

After the morning class, I headed down to breakfast, with the company of my new book "The Guardians of Halahala" which is the first of the "Vikramidaitya Trilogy". I am enjoying it so far. Today, I helped myself to some upma and vegetable paratha, together with my favourite drink masala chai. 

When rain outside took a break, I stepped out to enjoy the wind and wonderful cool weather. I walked around the pool and enjoyed the view of the hills all around. I also met an old Indian uncle from London, who was on his umpteenth post retirement holiday. He had been around pretty much all over India as well as rest of world, and is now in the process of visiting a few that corners that he has missed out (Singapore and Thailand apparently) and revisiting places that he had fallen in love with (including Rishikesh). What I loved about him was that he had a real zest to explore the world and live life to fullest. He must be at least 70 years old, but apparently is just back after white water rafting, even as his wife rested it out in their room! Needless to say, I thought he was awesome. 

My afternoon yoga was quite an experience. I did my first ever Sheershasana - yup, The Headstand!!! OK fine, I was assisted by the teacher, who helped me prop my legs up against the wall, but a first is a first is a first and I am extremely thrilled about it! 

Feeling on top of the world and wanting to make the most of the weather that continued to be gorgeous, I decided to go for another walk to Lakshman Jhula. This time, I didn't walk on that crowded, rather unsettling bridge. Instead I climbed up a small platform at a height and watched the crowds and bridge and temples and water beneath. I don't know how long I sat there. It was so peaceful... with the distant chanting of mantras in my ears and watching the Ganga flowing smoothly, purposefully, I once again thanked all the stars and all the Gods for giving me the opportunity to be there, just then. 

On my way back - two things caught my eye. First, was a humungous grey haired, black faced monkey with a tail that didn't seem to end. It was at least 3 or 4 times the size of any other monkey I had seen so far, it's grey colour was unique from the other yellow ochre monkeys and the tail... wow.  It was sitting majestically, on top of a wall, with such a calm, serene expression. I probably should have taken a picture of it, but I couldn't get myself to... it somehow felt like it would have trivialized the presence of that wondrous creature. So I just let it be. 

The second thing that caught my eye was a tiny little book shop, the kind you can find only in India, where there are books literally in every inch of space within - all over the walls, all over the floor - stacked and strewn away in the most disorganized manner, some brand new, some yellowing with age, some with edges bitten off by bugs, and some with no price tags. Initially, I was skeptical whether I would find books of my taste - i.e. fiction - because all I could see on the window panel were books about yoga, hinduism and sadhus, but then I realized right in the midst of it all, was also a book called "Bollywood Nights" by Shobha De. OK then. And sure enough, they had everything from yoga, religion and spirituality to cooking, western classical literature and entrepreneurship. It was a little piece of paradise. So I spent some time there as well and picked three books that are sure to be delightful - two by R.K.Narayan and one by Chitra Divakaruni Banerjee, an author whom my mom in law had introduced to me a long time ago - I thought I had read all her works so far, so was delighted to find yet another work of hers!

Back in my room after my little outing and a simple dinner of roti and vegetables, I put all my effort into some storyboarding work. There is much work still left for the film's pre-production and this was one part of it. I made quite some progress, and hope to complete it within the next couple of days. In other news, every time I realize that the shoot is just a week away, I have minor palpitations. Gulp. 

Two days and four yoga classes down. Four days and eight more lessons to go. 

When I was walking around the Lakshman Jhula today, I noticed a foreign tourist, with his big backpack hanging from his shoulders, gazing melancholically at the river and the view beyond. He seemed to be transfixed to the spot and looked really, really sad. The first thing that occured to me was that maybe it was time for him to leave Rishikesh and he probably doesn't want to. I am certain that I would be feeling the exact same way in a few days' time, because there is something so magnetic about this place. And I am falling in love with it a little bit more every day. 

P.S. Today was Singapore's founding father Lee Kwan Yue's funeral. A lot has been said and written about this man, so I won't repeat any of it. But it would not be right if I don't take a moment to thank him. Had he not did what he did for Singapore to become what it is today, I probably would have had a very different life. So from the bottom of my heart, Thank you, Mr. Lee. Rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment