Monday, March 4, 2013

Days 60 - 63: Miscellaneous Highlights from Kerala!

1 - 4 March, 2013

I wish I had the time to write detailed posts every day for the duration of my stay in India, because that's how fascinating and eventful each day is. But that's not to happen because I simply do not seem to get the time! So I am gonna make do with a quick list on the highlights over the last few days.

1) Visits to the Agathimandiram old age home and Parvathy bhavan, a home for mentally challenged ladies - Made a quick visit to both the places, something I have been doing regularly over the last few visits to Thrissur. The reality check when you meet the inmates of such places is an absolute must.

2) Visit to Guruvayur temple - This is again a mandatory event on every trip back home. This time, the visit coincided with the Guruvayur annual festival and I was amazed to see how grandly the place was decorated! The shiny lights, the endless number of Krishna idols, the rangoli decorations, flowers and lighted lamps gave the already charming place an added beauty. Loved it!

3) Shooting for Mausams "It's a Wrap" video - My editor who is in town to meet the little one, had this brainwave that we should have a behind the scenes video on Mausams. Given it's the journey from an intended home video to a feature film that did reasonably well in terms of audience acceptance, festival entries and such, he suggested that it would be good to summarize everything into a short video - to tell the story of its journey as well as a tribute to the cast and crew. But this required a shoot with me - an interview style video where I narrate some of the stories behind the making of the film. After a few scheduling issues that cropped up because of the little one's mood swings, we finally managed to get it done. I had a good two hours being in front of the camera, as my dad managed the little one who behaved pretty well during the time.

4) Visits to Maangottukaavu and Pazhayannoor temples - After a beautiful drive through some of Kerala's best untouched scenic landscapes, we made a visit to these two temples. It was my first time at both the places and I really enjoyed myself. I must mention that I was totally amused to see Pazhayannoor temple crowded with... well, cocks and hens! Just as I entered the temple, I noticed there were just too many of these birds around - on the walls, on the deepasthambham, on the donation box - pretty much everywhere! It was then that I discovered that this is something unique to this particular temple. Apparently these birds are  offered to the temple by the devotees. How cute!

5) Shopping - Made the mandatory shopping trip that follows every visit home. Am always amused to see the large number of new stores that seem to have popped up every time!

6) Food, Food & of course, Food - Seriously, with the kind of options available - be it my mom's cooking or the stuff that we get from all the restaurants, Kerala simply has too much good food! I have been gorging myself on everything starting with amazing coffee (Aryaas) to yummilicious chocolate cake (Elite supermarket), from prawns fry (Luciya Palace) to kozhakatta (from neighbour's house), it's all been way too good! 

Eventful and a ton of fun!


1 comment:

  1. Yayyy yayyyy and yaaayyy :)
    Glad that the weather has not played too much of spoilsport too... though it IS hot during the day, the evenings and nights are pleasant enough! Hope the good times continue :)

    ReplyDelete