Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Days 75 - 79: Living it in Kanpur!

16 - 20 March, 2013

Another awesome set of days, this time in Kanpur! Each day, again, truly deserves an individual post but unfortunately that's not to be. The days were jam packed with fun filled activities as well as catering to the little one's needs and daily blog-writing wasn't meant to be. So here we go... yet another summary.

Here's all that made the visit to Kanpur one fantastic experience!
a) The People - We got to spend time not just with my parents-in-law, but also with the extended family as well as the hubby's friends, all of whom flocked in to meet the little one! It is always lovely to meet each and every one of them and my only regret is that the time spent together was so short! But for as long as it lasted, each conversation and every moment together was beautiful!

b) The Celebrations - The little one was welcomed in style! My in laws had decorated the entrance to the house, the living room and our bedroom with balloons and stickers and party glitter, under a "Princess" theme. And the princess did enjoy gazing at it all with wide eyed wonder. Then she had the most wonderful puja and "annaprashn" (the North Indian version of the same "choroonu") attended by the large, beautiful family.  She behaved through most of it, in fact she was pretty friendly and happy, much to everyone's delight. I too had fun - with eating, praying, laughing, chatting, clicking photos and general merry making. But this was not the only celebration. We had another equally beautiful celebration - my mom in laws birthday celebration! We ushered in her birthday with a humungous chocolate cake, garnished with a bunch of fruits, on the eve of her birthday, at midnight. We spent the day driving around, shopping, eating and also having a few family friends over for the birthday dinner. Two celebrations - both awesome!

c) The Routine Fun - I have completed about half a dozen trips to Kanpur and we have a few must-dos on every trip - a visit to Rave 3 Mall and shopping at Pantaloons there, drinking the awesome Masala Chai in clay cups at Moti Jeel, driving out post dinner for getting some Meetha Paan and having some lipsmacking chaat. This time too, we did all the above and every time we do it, it is as much fun, if not more, as the last time!

d) The Food - I have  mentioned "eating" and different food a couple of times already on this blog. Needless to say, Kanpur had much to offer to my tastebuds (as well as my waistline, sigh!). From the Moti Jeel chai to the mutton biriyani, from the Posta (a potato dish made from opium seeds) to the Meetha Paan, from the Pedas to the different egg dishes conjured up at a friend's place by a chef who specializes in egg based dishes, it was all way too yummy.

e) The Shopping - I got to stock up on my office wardrobe when I return to work, which is going to happen very soon now. I absolutely loved the collections at Lifestyle and Wstside in Z Square as well as Pantaloons in Rave 3! It almost made me wish that I were settled in India because they have such gorgeous kurtas and salwars and I could have worn them on a daily basis!

f) The Travel - Like all good things, the Kanpur visit and with that this India vacation also had to come to an end. The travel back to Singapore would have been pretty depressing had it not been for a few small joys like the impeccable behaviour of the little one throughout the Kanpur -> Lucknow -> Delhi -> Singapore journey, the buggy ride we got at the Delhi airport (I had forever wanted to ride one of those things at the airport but only now had this dream come true thanks to the little one!), the priority we got at every queue thanks agan to the little one and the time spent at the spectacular Delhi international airport terminal 3 - even though I have been there multiple times, it's only now that I have managed to appreciate it thanks to our long transit; I especially loved their babycare rooms (the BEST I have seen so far anywhere!), the food court and all that space which is so unusual for India and helps not to feel the crowds! It was also great fun to see the little one interact with anyone and everyone - the security guards one of whom addressed her as "Shukla Madam", the immigration officers as well as the flight crew - a air hostess even ended up giving her a nice smooch on her cheek which resulted in a big, bright red, lip-shaped lipstick stain on her cheek!

g) Us Time - Last but not the least, I thoroughly enjoyed all the time we - i.e. the hubby, the little one and I, got to spend together.

A great vacation ends. Here's to more! 

1 comment:

  1. Man...your food description here has literally left my mouth watering! I miss the chat, the spicy tangy flavors...sigh!

    ReplyDelete