Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 21: Saying "Thank You"!

It's ridiculous how, sometimes, we completely miss out on expressing our gratitude to someone.

I have been guilty of it more than once. Someone would do something nice for me, I will be super grateful, I will think about what he/she has done for me a number of times with gratitude flowing in my heart, I will thank the person a number of times in my head, I would even discuss with others what he/she did for me, but I might not have thanked that person or expressed my appreciation in anyway. Which then kinda moots everything else.

Today, I thought that it's high time I correct at least one my mistakes in this regard.

When I was in the hospital, struggling through a 17 hour long labour, there was one person who was with me through the ordeal and who I believe, was the only reason why I didn't end up with a c-section. That person was Sister Jane of Mt. Alvernia hospital.

Actually, every staff member in the hospital was kind, considerate and really good at their job. I felt very well taken care of during my stay there. However, Sister Jane was exceptional. She not only went about her duties efficiently... she was the one who encouraged me to stick with the labour, she was the one who held my hand when I broke down under the stress of getting an epidural, she was the one who, finally, somehow managed to get me to deliver normally the very last minute, just when a c-section was looking inevitable.

But, in the exhaustion and excitement that followed the delivery, I didn't get to thank her then. I was moved to the ward from the delivery suite shortly and I didn't see her since.

I have been meaning to write a note of appreciation to her and the hospital ever since. It's been almost three months since, and I had still not done it! Shameful, really.

So today, when once again I caught myself sharing the story of" how Sister Jane saved me" with a friend, I decided that enough was enough and Sister Jane needs to be thanked. So I wrote an elaborate appreciation email and sent to the hospital. Hopefully it will reach her.

I felt really good post that. Better late than never!

Once again, Sister Jane - Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment