Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3: Conquering the Fear!

Major milestone this is!

After an absence of TEN whole months, I hit the hot room and took my much needed Bikram Yoga class!

I was not totally off yoga all the while, because I had practiced the pregnancy version of it at home until I was about seven months pregnant and then did a few sessions at home post delivery as well. But all that is a far cry from the Real Deal in the hot room.

To be very honest, I was postponing going back to class as much as possible. I was scared of the usual symptoms that occur after such a break - nausea, sore muscles, dizziness, headache, and the constant self-questioning about why on earth I came back to the torture chamber (even though this last symptom is usually replaced by a giddy sense of achievement post class).

Because you see... every time you take a break, even if it just a two-week one, the Bikram Yoga routine feels so bloody hard, thanks to the heat and the intensity. So I was expecting this to be hell, after a break of 10 months and that too with a body that's pretty much been roughed up with pregnancy.

I had been planning to get back to class for a while now and had even made a promise to myself that New Year's Day I shall be there. But that didn't happen, as my New Year's day post would show.

Even today, I would have considered cancelling the visit, at least 25 times. I think I even secretly wished that the little one would throw a major fuss when she realizes that her mom is taking her leave, which will then prompt me to stay back for all the right reasons.

Well, the little one did nothing of the sort. Instead, she happily gazed at the ceiling fan when I bid her farewell, and I finally had to drag myself to the class.

So yes, I made it. And I have never felt more awesome!

Sure it was bloody hard, and I did end up with a mother of all headaches post the class but I managed to do most of the postures, pretty well that too.

But more than anything else, it felt awesome to finally conquer that fear! Really, sometimes things are not as bad as we imagine it in our heads!

Here's to many more Bikram Yoga sessions!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I found my way here after starting a blog (1000 Days: My journey to creativity) and wanted to see who else had the same idea. Congrats on finishing your 1000 and on your new beginning! I am only on day 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! :) All the very best with your 1000 day journey! Hope you get to publish that book! :) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Good luck to you also!

      Delete