Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 6: The Priority Exercise!

When I went for my Yoga class last Friday, I took some time to read the articles that were pinned on the notice board there. Most of them focused on the New Year and how people make resolutions and what needs to be done to actually stick to the resolutions, etc. One article in particular caught my attention.

It recommended a simple exercise to come up with an inspiring yet actionable list of resolutions. Key to note is that it forces you to prioritize the resolutions so that you don't end up with a laundry list.

Now, I do have a list of resolutions for the year already (but of course). How can the obsessive compulsive list maker in me not have one already. But I do feel that its not really an optimal one. Sometimes I feel that I am not maximizing my capacity with this list, sometimes I feel that anything more would be unrealistic, sometimes I struggle to break down what I need to achieve between the short and the long term.

So yes, this article was fascinating for me. I read it with much interest and then..... completely forgot about it.

Until today.

Today, when I caught myself with  some free time, I decided to go through the recommended exercise from the article and see what comes off it.

And lo behold!

After quite a bit of back and forth, after some major contemplation on the various options and their pros and cons, I got a prioritized list of things to do for the year. To be honest, some of them were hard choices to make. For e.g. Do I actually shoot a film or do I just focus on scripts? Do I get back to work as fast as possible or do I spend some more time exclusively with the little one? Do I pick up my astrology lessons once again or do I only focus on the yoga? Etc . Etc.

And I think I have a rough idea where I want to be. I won't say I have completely cracked it all, but I do seem to have made some progress.

So yes, the priority exercise helped. I am a little clearer and less confused and that's always welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment