Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 5: 'Us' Time!

One thing you realize once a baby comes is that life as you knew it has pretty much gone for a toss. And that includes the exclusive time you spend with the hubby.

You see, am a sucker for quality time that I spend with the people I care about - family, friends, colleagues - and by "quality" I mean, exclusive time spent together, and having long conversations, with no distractions. So for e.g. watching T.V. together doesn't necessarily count for me but simply lounging on the couch and talking about the most random things under the sky does.

Of course, I love spending time with the little one and since I am on maternity leave, I do get a lot of time to do that. But I can't say the same about the time I now spend with the hubby. Once he is back from work, he has his own much needed exclusive time with his daughter and over weekends, there would be one or the other errand to run, leaving him and I with little time for ourselves.  

So whenever we do get some "Us" time, to me, it's a rather big deal. And today was one such day. 

After spending the whole morning with the little one, the hubby went for his yoga class. I was initially planning to meet him for dinner after his class and bring the baby along, but the very last minute I decided to leave her behind with our helper.

Because I felt that the 'Us' time was highly overdue. I felt that if we didn't make time today, we probably wouldn't be able to for another week or even more. 

However, this inevitably led to a major guilt trip. I felt like the worst mom in the world for having left her behind. When I saw other parents with their infants tagging along, I felt even worse. 

But then, ultimately I really enjoyed our 'Us' time. Over a dinner of Chicken Katsu Don, sushi like Golden catch, Egg mayo inari and California roll and hot green tea from my favorite Ichiban Boshi, we had our long conversation. This time it was all about what we wanna do in 2013 and I had great time having that much needed chat for 2 hours.

Back home, we got back immediately to the 'three-of-us' time, which then rounded off a perfect evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment