Friday, January 25, 2013

Days 24 - 25: Small but Awesome Wins!

24 - 25 January, 2013

Am feeling on top of the world!

Why?

Because I have had two incredible yoga classes in a row! I went for yoga yesterday and today and in both the classes, I managed to improve my practice a LOT. This is very exciting for me because yoga after pregnancy has been an .. uhm... interesting journey. I had not been able to do a lot of the poses as well as before and worse still, a pelvic injury I sustained after a fall in the 7th month of pregnancy had been keeping me away from certain poses altogether. But as of the last two days, I am making incredible progress!

Anyway, here are the highlights of my practice over the last two days:
1) Standing Bow Pulling Pose - I managed to maintain the posture for the entire duration for one set, vs. falling out and getting back multiple times. This is the first time this has happened post pregnancy!
2) Balancing Stick Pose - I managed to maintain the posture without losing my balance for both sets on both legs. Again, this is the first time this has happened post pregnancy!
3) Triangle Pose - I managed to maintain the posture through the entire duration and also get out of the posture without losing my balance for both sets on both sides. This is incredible because this is a pose that I had difficulty with even pre pregnancy. I used to give up half way at times or just get away with doing only a single set on my lazy days. Even though I had been able to do this pose on and off post pregnancy, I never could maintain it through both the sets. Worse still, my badly weakened abdomen muscles were making me fall over when I try to get out of the posture, because that requires decent core strength which I don't have right now. So the fact that I got this totally right today, was AWESOME. Plus I actually think that my posture was deeper and better aligned than even pre-pregnancy! SO happy!
4) Half Locust Pose - I had a fall during my 7th month of pregnancy and injured my pelvic muscles in the process. Even post delivery, I had not fully recovered from it and the pain would shoot every now and then. I was not able to do this pose (which is practiced in three parts at Bikram), at all as it puts a lot of pressure on the pelvic area, especially with the wrists pushing up against it. But now I have managed to do the pose, that too for both the sets! And that too with no pelvic pain in the process! This is getting more and more exciting!

I still have a long way to go before I can say that I am back at my pre-pregnancy form (I stilll have two poses that am not being able to do at all), but this is a great start!

All these may seem like rather small wins, but they are super awesome nevertheless! And I am very happy that I am inching closer to a healthy body with no pelvic pain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment